THE BIG PICTURE
- Oct 11, 2012 to Nov 16, 2012
- Location: Lincoln Plaza Cinema and IFC Center
MPI Pictures is proud to announce the release of THE BIG PICTURE, Eric Lartigau’s French thriller adapted from Douglas Kennedy’s American novel, starring Romain Duris (The Beat That My Heart Skipped, Heartbreaker,) Marina Foïs, Neils Arestrup and Catherine Deneuve. THE BIG PICTURE is scheduled to open in New York at Lincoln Plaza Cinema and IFC Center on Friday, October 12.
Paul Exben (Romain Duris in an intense perfomance) is a handsome and successful thirty-something Parisian corporate lawyer with a beautiful wife, two children, and a glimmering future as a partner in the firm he co-owns with his mentor, Anne (Catherine Deneuve.) But behind this deceptively perfect bourgeois façade lies a desire for creative fulfillment, a restless spirit who despises his conformist life and envies the freedom of his neighbor Greg (Eric Ruf,) an uncompromising photojournalist.
Greg’s unexpected death throws Paul’s life into chaos, and he makes a startling decision that pushes him into unknown territor
- Created by: Aimee Morris
Thursday, November 1, 2012 (6)
THE OTHER SON
- Oct 25, 2012 to Nov 30, 2012
- Location: The Sunshine Cinema + Clearview Cinemas
Writer-director Lorraine Lévy’s THE OTHER SON, is a moving and provocative tale – filmed in Israel and the West Bank - of two young men – one Israeli, the other Palestinian, who discover they were accidentally switched at birth, and the complex repercussions on themselves and their respective families.
Joseph (Jules Sitruk), an 18-year-old musician preparing to join the Israeli army for his mandatory military service, lives at home in a comfortable suburb of Tel Aviv with his parents, France-born physician Orith (Emmanuelle Devos) and Israel-born army commander Alon Silbers (Pascal Elbé). A blood test for Joseph’s military service reveals that he is not their biological son; during the Gulf War Joseph was evacuated from a clinic along with another baby; both were given back to the wrong families. While the Palestinian Joseph went to Tel Aviv with the Silbers, their actual Jewish son, Yacine (Medhi Dehbi) was brought to the West Bank by the Arab couple, Said (Khalifa Natour) and Leila (
- Created by: Aimee Morris
Love is French
- Oct 29, 2012 at 3:00pm EDT to Nov 26, 2012 at 2:00pm EST
- Location: The Metropolitan Room
- Description: A new «little sparrow» has landed. Ankah infuses her daringly dramatic evocation of Piaf’s art with a contemporary energy and rhythm.—Broadway WorldFloanne is the French Madonna—Timeout NYUndeniably effective renditions—Cabaret ScenesHer training is evident. Her voice has marvelous range.—Times Square ChroniclesTrip to France: $2,000. Hotel with a view of the Eiffel tower: $600 a night. Bottle of champagne: $100. Night in Paris in the city of New York being mesmerized and serenaded by Floanne: priceless. Treat yourself to a night in Paris without even leaving home. The French Chanteuse envelopes you with style and originality that eases you into a relaxed mood and leaves at the end of the night full of romance and forgetting where you are and where you came from… like in a Woody Allen movie.In her new show «Love is French», Floanne explores, rather academically… love. In a jazz cabaret show of French chanson with a a comedic flavor, a lot of personality and romantic overtones , Flo
- Created by: Flo Ankah
Brooklyn give back ! Collecte de vetements apres l ouragan Sandy
- Nov 1, 2012 at 6:00am to Nov 2, 2012 at 10:00am EDT
- Location: Arab American Association of New-York
L ONG "Arab American Association of New-York" organise une collecte de vetements, nourriture et autres objets pour les victimes de l ouragan Sandy. L organisation est basee a Bayridge Brooklyn (7111 5th Ave), si vous avez quelques pieces a deposer pour les victimes n hesitez pas a passez !
Lien Facebook de l evenement http://www.facebook.com/events/475355829163794/?ref=ts&fref=ts
- Created by: Ania Ould-Lamara
La Rafle (The Roundup)
- Nov 1, 2012 from 2:30pm to 5:00pm EDT
- Location: Columbia Maison Française.
Event open only to CUID holders and members of the Societe des Amis de la Maison Francaise
Directed by Rose Bosch, 2010, 124 min.
French, German and Yiddish with English subtitles
Special Screening with an introduction and Q & A by Professor Robert O. Paxton, before the U.S. theatrical release in November 2012
La Rafle is a dramatized film about the infamous Vel'd'Hiv Roundup that took place seventy years ago on July 16, 1942. On that day, French police carried out an extensive raid on foreign Jews in greater Paris, resulting in the arrest of more than 13,000 people — including 4,000 children. After spending several miserable days in the Vélodrome d’Hiver stadium with little food or water, families were deported to internment camps elsewhere in France and then, finally, to Auschwitz. By writer/director Rose Bosch, the film's script relies on extensive research and first-hand accounts, and raises important questions about the challenges of rendering such dark historical events through drama
- Created by: Columbia Maison Francaise
Woodkid Live at Irving Plaza - November 1
- Nov 1, 2012 from 3:00pm to 7:45pm EDT
- Location: Irving Plaza
Woodkid, aka Yoann Lemoine, is a French music video director, graphic designer, and musician. His most notable works include his music video direction for Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" , Taylor Swift's "Back to December," Lana Del Ray's "Born to Die" and Mystery Jets' "Dreaming of Another World."
Lemoine is also an alternative musician, mixing chamber pop, folk, and indie music. Don't miss his haunting show at Irving Plaza on November 1.
- Created by: Rachel Pesin