- Jul 28, 2011 to Aug 12, 2011
- Location: Landmark Sunshine Cinema
- Description: Samuel (Gilles Lellouche) is a happily married nurse working in a Paris hospital. When his very pregnant wife (Elena Anaya) is kidnapped before his helpless eyes, everything falls apart. After being knocked unconscious, he comes to and his cell phone rings: he has three hours to get Sartet (Roschdy Zem), a man under police surveillance, out of the hospital. Shot on location in wide lens, POINT BLANK is an exhilarating non-stop ride through Paris’ streets, subways, hospitals, warehouses, and police stations, as Samuel quickly finds himself pitted against rival gangsters and trigger-happy police in a deadly race to save the lives of his wife and unborn child.
- Created by: Aimee Morris
- Aug 4, 2011 to Aug 19, 2011
- Location: Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center and IFC Center
- Description: Spanning three decades, MYSTERIES OF LISBON plunges us into a whirlwind of adventures, coincidences, revelations, vengeance, betrayals and love affairs, wrapped in a rhapsodic voyage that takes us to Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, and as far as Brazil. Evoking the complex intertwined narratives of Charles Dickens, the film’s central character is Joao, the illegitimate child of an ill-fated romance between two members of the aristocracy who are forbidden to marry, and follows Joao’s quest to discover the truth of his parentage. Nothing, and nobody, is first as it/she/he appears in this intoxicating spiral of stories within stories within stories, filmed by Ruiz with gorgeous period design, a fluid, pirouetting camera, and a stellar French and Portuguese cast including up and coming actresses Clotilde Hesmé and Léa Seydoux.
- Created by: Aimee Morris
- Aug 8, 2011 at 2:00pm to Aug 21, 2011 at 3:00pm EDT
- Location: On Kickstarter's website: http://kck.st/ieBvUW
Multiple award-winning French-American filmmaker Anne Aghion has spent over 10 years filming in post-genocide Rwanda where she made four films. Her latest, MY NEIGHBOR MY KILLER, was in Official Selection at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival, and has since been shown around the world, received numerous awards and garnered unanimous critical praise.
Assumpta Mugiraneza is a Rwandan social psychologist and political scientist who has done extensive work on memory, history and hate speech.
Together, they’re creating IRIBA CENTER FOR MULTIMEDIA HERITAGE in Kigali, Rwanda. IRIBA Center, whose name means “the source” in Kinyarwanda, will gather a century of Rwanda’s audiovisual history from sources in Africa and Europe to make it free and accessible to the public.
Since 1994, all Rwandans share genocide as their central legacy. Nearly two decades later, as they search for a path to long-lasting recovery and peace, discovering -or re-discovering- their common history and cultural identity is essen
- Created by: Anita Kirpalani
- Aug 12, 2011 from 2:30pm to 3:15pm EDT
- Location: Brooklyn Children's Museum
Flamenco Vivo Carlota Santana's performances uphold the purity and traditions of flamenco and classical Spanish dance while pushing the boundaries of the art form in new directions. Made possible, in part, with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts, celebrating 50 years of building strong, creative communities in New York State’s 62 counties.
- Created by: Caroline Silvin
- Aug 12, 2011 at 6:00pm to Aug 13, 2011 at 12:00am EDT
- Location: HEA LOUNGE (Union Square)
Vous aimez danser le Zouk et Kizomba mais ne savez pas ou aller? Vendredi 12 aout a Hea Lounge, special nuit Zouk Kizomba avec DJ Guelas et DJ Express.
En plus a partir de 10:30pm, cours GRATUIT de Kizomba par instructeur Allemand Jan et de Salsa per instructeur professionel Kevin Lee.
2e etage: Zouk/Kizomba/Kuduro et 1er etage: Salsa/Merengue/Bachata
21 ans minimum. PAF: femmes $10; hommes: $15 avant minuit/$20 apres
You like Zouk and Kizomba but don't know where to go? Come to Hea Lounge Friday Aug 12 (10pm-4am). FREE 1-hour class of Kizomba by German instructor Jan followed by party till 4am. Must be 21. Door cover: ladies:$10 all night; gents: $15 before midnight and $20 after.
- Created by: Dom'nik