- Aug 4, 2011 to Aug 19, 2011
- Location: Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center and IFC Center
- Description: Spanning three decades, MYSTERIES OF LISBON plunges us into a whirlwind of adventures, coincidences, revelations, vengeance, betrayals and love affairs, wrapped in a rhapsodic voyage that takes us to Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, and as far as Brazil. Evoking the complex intertwined narratives of Charles Dickens, the film’s central character is Joao, the illegitimate child of an ill-fated romance between two members of the aristocracy who are forbidden to marry, and follows Joao’s quest to discover the truth of his parentage. Nothing, and nobody, is first as it/she/he appears in this intoxicating spiral of stories within stories within stories, filmed by Ruiz with gorgeous period design, a fluid, pirouetting camera, and a stellar French and Portuguese cast including up and coming actresses Clotilde Hesmé and Léa Seydoux.
- Created by: Aimee Morris
- Aug 8, 2011 at 2:00pm to Aug 21, 2011 at 3:00pm EDT
- Location: On Kickstarter's website: http://kck.st/ieBvUW
Multiple award-winning French-American filmmaker Anne Aghion has spent over 10 years filming in post-genocide Rwanda where she made four films. Her latest, MY NEIGHBOR MY KILLER, was in Official Selection at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival, and has since been shown around the world, received numerous awards and garnered unanimous critical praise.
Assumpta Mugiraneza is a Rwandan social psychologist and political scientist who has done extensive work on memory, history and hate speech.
Together, they’re creating IRIBA CENTER FOR MULTIMEDIA HERITAGE in Kigali, Rwanda. IRIBA Center, whose name means “the source” in Kinyarwanda, will gather a century of Rwanda’s audiovisual history from sources in Africa and Europe to make it free and accessible to the public.
Since 1994, all Rwandans share genocide as their central legacy. Nearly two decades later, as they search for a path to long-lasting recovery and peace, discovering -or re-discovering- their common history and cultural identity is essen
- Created by: Anita Kirpalani
- Aug 19, 2011 at 8:00am to Aug 25, 2011 at 3:00pm EDT
- Location: Film Society of Lincoln Center, Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center
Directed by René Féret.
Stars Marie Féret, Marce Barbé, Delphine Chuillot, David Moreau, Clovis Fouin.
- Created by: Music Box Films
- Aug 19, 2011 at 2:00pm to Aug 20, 2011 at 9:00am EDT
- Location: Chado Sushi
Politics, be damned !
Here is your passport to the Middle East through its exotic and stunningly diverse pop heritage. Here we ventured beyond the pillars of Arabic music into some fascinating backwaters of the world music universe... You will find all this and much more in our After-Work Party!
HAPPY HOUR 5PM-7PM
2 for 1 Drink
2 for 8$ Sushi Rolls (12 pieces)
4 East 36th Street, NYC (Between Fifth and Madison)
- Created by: Etienne DeYans
- Aug 19, 2011 at 7:00pm to Aug 20, 2011 at 12:00am EDT
- Location: SOB's [Sounds of Brazil]
Vendredi 19 août, SOB’s va accueillir la voix du Reggae Roots Africain, Tiken Jah Fakoly. Figure emblématique de la protest-song ivoirienne Tiken Jah Fakoly se passionne, très tôt, pour les rythmes chauds du reggae. Depuis ses premières cassettes publiées en Côte d’Ivoire en 1993, Tiken Jah Fakoly utilise son art et ses chansons comme une arme de dénonciation, de condamnation, d'opposition mais aussi de conciliation.
Avec son 8ème album « African Révolution » sorti fin 2010, le chanteur ivoirien change la donne de son reggae africain en s'accompagnant d'instruments traditionnels mandingues.
« African Révolution » s’impose comme un jalon, non seulement pour l’artiste, mais pour toute la scène reggae. Une bouffée d’air frais, exemple qui va donner du grain à moudre à toute la nouvelle génération... Mais avant tout cet album transcende les genres et projette un son nouveau, ancré dans la tradition et résolument moderne, comme cette Afrique qui ne cesse de nous charmer et de nous étonner.
- Created by: Sofar
- Aug 19, 2011 at 7:30pm to Aug 20, 2011 at 12:00am EDT
- Location: NYC
*****Summer Zouk Cruise is this Friday, August 19 with Jean Marie Ragald and his live backing band direct from Martinique ****
$65 in advance, more night of event.
Last minute advance tickets until TONIGHT....
Buy your tickets at: http://www.starzpromotions.com
Info line & Ticket: 347 553-9927/ 347 469-9513
Buy Your Ticket/s Via PayPal Secure Service.
It's first come first serve!
Boarding at 11:30PM Sharp at 2430 East 23rd Street FDR Drive East Service Road,
Our Cruise Package includes the following:
Delicious Hot Buffet
It'l Celebrity DJ Shogun Famous Monster DJ
LIVE PERFORMANCE WITH A BACKING BAND
Note: Dress Code Rules!!
Chic trendy attire is require.
All guests must be 21 and over with Proper ID required..
We Sail Rain or Shine.
Do Not Forget to Print Your Receipt From PayPal. Print out receipts will be required Upon Boarding.
Public Transportation to the Pier: Subway #6 to 23rd Street & Lexington Avenue. Walk east approximately (4) blocks to FDR Drive. Follow the signs for Summe
- Created by: Monique Macaire