Male/Female Site Director Wanted for French Language Summer Day Camp
Job: Summer Day Camp Site Director
Location: Brooklyn and Manhattan
Dates: Dates: July 5 through September 5, 2016 + several training sessions in May and June
Hours: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Are you looking for a great and meaningful way to spend the summer?
Work at the best bilingual camp ever!! Dynamic team, wonderful campers between 3.5 and 11 years old. French Language Traditional active camp: swimming, arts, sports, outdoor activities…
A Director is responsible for the direct care and supervision of all campers and Team members, promoting and actively participating in all camp activities, providing a safe and fun learning environment, and serving as a positive role model for campers and Team members.
We are seeking motivated team members who believe deeply in the organization’s mission and who display a record of achievement in effective supervision & management of Team members and campers. The candidate must be capable of building positive relationships, providing top-notch customer service and ensuring the safety and well-being of people of all ages. This position will require the candidate to complete multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment while maintaining the professional standards of Bonjour NY.
- Group supervision of campers with attention to: behavior and group management, health and safety, security, and personal and skill development
- Create a high-energy, fun, and creative experience for campers
- Complete paperwork as assigned
- Manage daily camper sign-in and pick-up procedure
- Serve as a positive role model to campers and Team members
- Monitor the organization, supervision, and administration of all activities and assemblies
- Assure quality of the camp program
- Oversee campers’ behavior management
- Coordinates camp daily transportation and camp daily schedules
- Conduct morning briefings daily with Team
- Conduct summer Team member evaluations
- Assist and support the Executive Director in any camp operation or activity
- Attend all BNY events
- Model behavior & group management strategies for groups
- Monitor safety and security of all campers and Team Members
- Conduct tours of the camp facilities and program areas to prospective camp families
- Follow, implement and maintain the BNY Code and Look at all times
- Exhibit BNY Core Values at all times and adhere to all company policies
- Be accessible by phone, text and email in the evening after camp is over and on weekends
- Have fun
- Participate in camp activities to the extent necessary for proper awareness and supervisory functioning.
- Establish procedures, routines and practices for camp operations
- Ensure that risk prevention and crisis management plans are implemented.
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Position competencies for success:
- Understand and support the mission of the organization
- Ability to work effectively with others in all levels of the organization in a professional manner
- Positive attitude
- Commitment to the growth and development of youth
- Commitment to producing consistent, high-quality work
- Excellent judgment, ability to identify problems and works quickly to find solutions
- Patient, caring and creative
- Flexible, adaptive and a Team player
- Desire to make a difference in the life of a child
- Mental and physical ability to deal with high stress situations and to work well under pressure.
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently.
- Knowledge of/practical experience in: camper psychology, peer leadership and supervision, staff management & motivation.
- 3 seasons of previous administrative or supervisory experience in camping or equivalent experience*
* Equivalent experience is defined as : At least one year of supervisory or administrative experience working with children under the age of 16 in educational, developmental and/or recreational programs
- First Aid/CPR or ability to obtain these prior to the 1st day of employment.
- Lifeguard and lifeguard management & Supervision certifications or ability to obtain these prior to the 1st day of employment.
- Bachelor’s Degree
Other Skills Requirements:
- Outstanding communication skills which include the ability to use clear, concise and grammatically correct written and oral language in all aspects of professional interaction with campers, their families, peers, leadership team and the larger community in both French and English.
- Reports directly to and takes direction from Executive Director.
- Keeps constant open communication with office assistant
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Candidates must be a minimum of 21 years old.
- French fluent (French native is preferred).
- Must be available to work the full camp program, and to begin part-time administrative work in the spring
- Must be accessible by phone, text and email in the evenings after camp is over and on weekends during camp season
- Mentally and physically able to deal with high stress situations and work well under pressure
- Strong swimmer, must be able to obtain a lifeguard certification
- Ability to push/pull, lift and carry a minimum of 35lbs
- Endurance to work outside and on your feet for 8-10 hours per day
- Good physical condition which enables candidate to execute all responsibilities associated with this position
- Willing to work remotely from home after camp hours
- Experience supervising/managing/motivating a group of children. And a group of adults
- Willing to hold staff meetings and team building events outside of work hours
All directors must attend several training sessions/orientation conducted in the months preceding camp.
Application Process :
- Please send your up-to-date resume with at least two references and include a cover letter in which you tell us about yourself, especially as it pertains to the areas mentioned above. Send documentation of your supervisory work.
- If you are officially trained in CPR, First Aid, or as a Lifeguard, include a copy of that certification.
- Please email your applications to email@example.com
Selection Process :
Interviews will be conducted starting in February. Competitive salary.