News

Dear all,

Bonjour and Happy 4th and 14th of July!

Here are a few important news. Please circulate this email to your colleagues.

1) MY TRANSATLANTIC SCHOOL

My Transatlantic School is a place for educational and cultural exchanges between schools from New York State and Montpellier, France. Purpose and use: the platform is open to teachers, administrative staff in schools and institutional boards, and students' parents. Two main areas of use : School Exchanges between the New York region and the Académie of Montpellier. The teachers become members, create their page with at least a photo or an avatar, and a personal presentation. They create a group for their school (or join the existing one) ; the presentation page for the school's group needs to show the name of the school, a picture to help identify it, a rather detailed description (number of students, grades, special features (for instance, focus on science or on performing arts), geographical localisation, a link to an existing school's website ... They look for partners for their project(s) by browsing around, leaving comments on members' personal pages or by using the forum "petites annonces" to post an ad. Sign up for your school at: http://nycfrench3.ning.com/

For more information click on the attached description

2) ROCK THE STATUE GREEN: A SCHOOL CONTEST CELEBRATING THE STATUE OF LIBERTY'S 125TH BIRTHDAY (UPDATED DEADLINE AND PARTICIPANTS' ELIGIBILITY)

I'd love to have your schools take part in Rock The Statue Green - a Transatlantic Art Contest: Celebrating The Statue of Liberty’s 125thBirthday. In celebration of the Statue of Liberty’s 125th birthday (October 28th, 2011), the Cultural Services of the French Embassy, in collaboration with the U.S. National Park Service, Statue of Liberty National Monument, the City of New York Parks and Recreations, and the American Association of Teachers of French are hosting a Franco-American Transatlantic contest for students in grades pre-K to 12 (All primary and secondary school students in France and the United States are eligible to participate). This year’s topics will be: The Statue of Liberty and the Environment. Prizes include 3 Grand- Prize Winners: 3 pairs of round-trip tickets, courtesy of Air France. 4 individual awards ($500 per each individual) 4 group awards ($500 per each group), etc. Contest Deadline: November 30th, 2011. Details can be found here: http://statueofliberty.ning.com

For more information click on the attached description

3) FRENCH TEACHER POSTINGS

I have attached a French Teacher job posting on behalf of PS242 in Harlem. Feel free to post your job postings on
http://www.newyorkinfrench.net/forum Just click on Add a Discussion and post your job posting. New York in French is a free, apolitical, non-commercial, community-oriented blog open to anyone interested in French in New York City and its extended surroundings. With more than 6,000 members NYIF offers many free, innovative, spam-free, collaborative and news-sharing tools which let you exchange, inform, contribute and debate about questions and interests related to enjoying, promoting and discovering the French language and those who speak it.

4) REPORT ON FRENCH EDUCATION PROGRAMS IN NYC

It is with great pleasure that I am sending you the link to our report about French Education programs in New York City. It tells the story of French language initiatives in New York and I believe that it can serve as a model nationwide.September 2011 will mark the opening of two new bilingual public elementary schools in New York City, as well as the second year of a charter elementary school featuring a French immersion curriculum. These additions will expand and reinforce the group of public schools already offering French-English education in New York. This is a considerable accomplishment amidst the widespread decline in the availability of foreign language instruction in elementary and middle schools nationwide and especially in schools serving lower socioeconomic families. Here is the url for this report: http://www.frenchculture.org/PR/FrenchEmbassyReport2011.pdf

If you would like to receive a printed version, please send us an email at education@frenchculture.org

5) MASTER'S IN BILINGUAL EDUCATION

Hunter College is launching a French track to its Master's in Bilingual Education. Teachers who successfully complete the French track of the Master’s in Childhood or Early Childhood Bilingual Education (34-52 credits, depending on prior coursework) will be eligible to apply for teaching positions in New York City’s French dual language programs. Upon graduation, students will be recommended for certification in Early Childhood (birth – grade 2) or Childhood Education (grades 1 – 6) in addition to the Bilingual Extension – French. Teachers who have initial or professional certification in Early Childhood Education or Childhood Education and want to teach in bilingual programs may apply for the Advanced Certificate in Bilingual Extension (14 credits). Detailed information about each program, including admission requirements, is available at http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/school-of-education/programs/graduate/bilingual

Have a great summer!

Fabrice Jaumont
Education Attache
French Embassy
972 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10075
fabrice.jaumont@diplomatie.gouv.fr
Phone: 212-439 1436
Fax: 212-439 1455
www.frenchculture.org
www.newyorkinfrench.net

My Transatlantic School - in French and English.pdf

French Teacher Posting.doc

Rock the Statue Green.pdf

You need to be a member of New York in French to add comments!

Join New York in French

Email me when people reply –