Full-Time Preschool Head Teacher
A French contemporary art preschool on the Upper West Side is currently seeking a full time Head Teacher. The preschool classes are small (6-12 students) and the students range in age from 2 ½ - 4 years old. The ideal candidate is organized, patient, gentle, speaks fluent French (native fluency), and has prior experience working in preschool and early childhood education. Work hours are from 8:30-4:30, Monday through Friday, plus weekly meetings and parent tours.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- French as a first language (native fluency)
- Working papers and visa for non-US citizens
- A Bachelor’s degree in Child Development, Early Childhood Education, Special Education or related field is expected for consideration; preference will be given for Master’s degree
- At least 2 years of prior experience working with young children with and without special needs in a classroom environment
- Experience working with parents
- Experience supervising a classroom staff
- First Aid and CPR certification preferred
- Familiarity with progressive educational philosophies (Reggio Emilia, Montessori, etc,.
- Patience, flexibility, and organization skills
- Ability to relate to both young children and communicate with parents
Functions & Responsibilities:
Work with Children: Lead classes (6-12 students) and work with children in groups and individually within an inclusionary, mixed age group of children from 2 ½ - 4 years old in a preschool classroom setting. Conduct weekly observation, assessment, and evaluation of students.
Work with Parents: Responsible for holding regular conferences with parents in addition to daily, ongoing interaction and occasional evening parent meetings and introductory school tours.
Work with Staff: Responsible for the pedagogical and professional development of classroom staff, which includes one assistant teachers, student teachers and student interns, and additional part-time staff. Head teacher will meet weekly with the Director.
Work with Environment: Responsible for establishing a developmentally oriented curriculum centered on arts integration and French language immersion. Design lesson plans that address children’s verbal, motor, social, and critical thinking skills development through imaginative and hands-on projects. Establish a classroom environment that is conducive to the growth of young children and their families. Demonstrate knowledge and an understanding of the individual needs of young children, as well as progressive pedagogical philosophies, such as Reggio Emilia and Montessori.
Salary is consummate with experience. Interested applicants should send their cover letter and 1-page resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Preschool Head Teacher Applicant”. For more information about the school, please visit our website at www.lpeny.com. No phone calls, please.