French Image in New York thesis

Hi everybody,

My name is Thomas, I am writing a thesis about french image and french language in New York.I would like to know the opinion of people who live in New York or lived in NewYork.

I had the occasion to spend some weeks in New York and I was actually very surprised ofhow much the French image was used in New York. Impossible for example to opena menu in a restaurant without read a “french something” or something “à lafrançaise”. I discovered that you could wear shoes with a little French flag onit, or a t-shirt with” Jean-Luc Michel Dupont Mange Des Champignons” written onit,  and that it looked quite cool.

More seriously, I am analyzing how French  is viewed, how it is used etc.This analyze has to be not in US only, but in New York City.

That is why I am looking for nice people who would agree to respond to some questions.

You can send me an e-mail to new.york.view.of.france@gmail.com

Best Regards,

Thomas

You need to be a member of New York in French to add comments!

Join New York in French

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thomas, Would be glad to help and answer your questions. I lived in NYC from 1983 to 2002.

Deb Cordier PhD
  • Hi Thomas,
    I don't know all about you dissertation project, but French people and French language are two different concept, specially if you consider nyc as your research field. Maybe you already have a clear idea of how to integrate the other francophe microsmes (les belges, les ouest-africains, les vietnamiens, les haïtiens, etc). Maybe your purpose is just the image of La France et les Français? Then la problématique linguistique is just a kind of inclusive term of the thesis. Anyway, je serais curieux d'en apprendre un peu plus, si tu veux bien.
    Malick

Yves Leroux said:
    yves.leroux@gmail.com

Thomas Renault said:
    Hello Yves,

Just send me an email to new.york.view.of.france@gmail.com, so I can send you back more informations about the project and the questions. It is something easy to do and takes only some minutes.
    Hi everybody, My name is Thomas, I am writing a thesis about french image and french language in New York. I would like to know the opinion of peopl…
    • Fantastic insight, Malick!

• yves.leroux@gmail.com

Thomas Renault said:
    Hello Yves,

Just send me an email to new.york.view.of.france@gmail.com, so I can send you back more informations about the project and the questions. It is something easy to do and takes only some minutes.
    Hi everybody, My name is Thomas, I am writing a thesis about french image and french language in New York. I would like to know the opinion of peopl…
  • Hello Yves,

• How do we do this?
This reply was deleted.

Visit our bookstore

Visit our store