- Oct 5, 2017 to Dec 29, 2017
- Location: Lincoln Plaza Cinemas and The Quad
Cohen Media Group is proud to announce the release of the enchanting documentary/road movie FACES PLACES (VISAGES VILLAGES,) co-directed by 89-year old Agnes Varda, one of the leading figures of the French New Wave, and acclaimed 33 year-old French photographer and muralist JR. A sensation at this year's Cannes Film Festival, and a selection of the Telluride, Toronto and New York Film Festivals, it is scheduled to open in New York on Friday, October 6 at Lincoln Plaza and the Quad Cinemas, followed by a national roll out.
Kindred spirits, Varda and JR share a lifelong passion for images and how they are created, displayed and shared. Together they travel around the villages of France in JR’s photo truck meeting locals, learning their stories and producing epic-size portraits of them. Their photos are prominently displayed on houses, barns, storefronts and trains revealing the humanity in their subjects, and themselves. FACES PLACES documents these heart-warming encounters as well as t
- Created by: Aimee Morris
- Oct 26, 2017 to Nov 24, 2017
- Location: Quad CInema
Strand Releasing is proud to announce the release of FÉLICITÉ, the new film by award-winning French director of Guinea-Bissauan and Senegalese descent Alain Gomis, and the winner of the Silver Lion at the 2017 Berlin International Film Festival. Set in Kinshasa, FÉLICITÉ - a selection of the 2017 New York Film Festival - follows a fiercely independent club singer whose life is thrown into turmoil when her teenage son is seriously injured. FÉLICITÉ is scheduled to open in New York on Friday, October 27th at The Quad Cinema followed by a national roll out.
Living her life in the chaotically vibrant Congolese capital of Kinshasa with a proud defiance, Félicité doesn't need marriage, a man, or even love to get by. But when her son is injured in a traffic accident, she must find a way to pay for his operation, and embarks on a double journey: through the punishing outer world of the city and the inner world of the soul. FÉLICITÉ is tough, tender, lyrical, mysterious, funny, and terrifying, b
- Created by: Aimee Morris
- Oct 29, 2017 to Nov 12, 2017
- Location: Opera Gallery New York
- Description: After 20 years of being absent from the New York art scene, Brasilier, whose work has increased in value by an impressive 20% over the last two years, unveiled 40 never-before-seen works alongside 10 retrospective works from his exceptional private collection. The much-anticipated solo exhibit paid homage to New York's energy and architecture, presenting works that are thriving with life, candid beauty and emotion. Globally recognized for his portrayal of Mother Nature and horses, a metaphor for life and vitality, Brasilier credits his muse and wife Chantal, for being an infinite and endless source of inspiration. The presentation exuded what Brasilier is ultimately known for - a love for life and a life of love.André Braslier's exhibition will be on display until Sunday, November 12th. For more info: www.operagallery.com
- Created by: Larissa Milashenko
- Nov 1, 2017 from 3:00pm to 5:00pm EDT
- Location: THE LANGUAGE AND LAUGHTER STUDIO
A well conceived experience with quality French childhood literature is a precious gift for your children, which will bring wonderful memories but also:
. support their bilingualism,
. give them the taste of reading,
. nourish their creativity,
. help them gain appreciation for the arts,
. build their empathy and critical thinking skills.
Marie Barguirdjian, an author and expert on early childhood literature, will be leading this workshop tailored for families in our bilingual community.
Free participation (donation box): Sign up here!
(Illustration: Please, Louise - Toni Morrison)
- Created by: Pascale Setbon