- Feb 18, 2012 at 4:30pm EST to Jun 21, 2012 at 6:00pm EDT
- Location: The Metropolitan Room
Edith Piaf Alive and Living in New York
Written by Floanne Ankah & Alice Jankell
Directed by Alice Jankell
Piano: Audrey Saint-Gil, Accordion: Kate Dunphy
Guitar: Marcel Van Dam, Percussion: Alby Roblejo
Saturday, Jan 21/Feb 18/Mar 17 at 9:30
Thursday, April 19/May 17/Jun 21 at 9:30
The Metropolitan Room
34 West 22nd Street, New York, NY 10010 Tickets $20.00, 2 drinks minimum (212) 206-0440, www.metropolitanroom.com
French actress and singer Floanne Ankah recounts the Piaf story. This authentic ‘chanteuse’ and farm girl opens the door to her culture, by taking a closer look at the legendary ‘Little Sparrow’ —with that husky, mournful voice so popular in the 1940’ and 50’s. The performance is a culturally rich and moving presenta- tion that will make you smile, with tunes transporting you to other times and places.
Yes, both Floanne and Edith Piaf will be attending the rendez-vous in a medley of vintage tunes from their native France... with a modern twist. She w
- Created by: Flo Ankah
- Mar 2, 2012 to May 25, 2012
- Location: Alwan for the Arts
- Description: Alwan for the Arts is excited to announce weekly group and private Arab Music Instruction this spring. Opportunities are available for beginners and seasoned musicians of all ages to learn fundamentals of Arab music and/or study specialized topics, such as focusing on many iterations of a single Maqam throughout a few decades, learning to sing and perform many maqams and popular songs along with classical Arabic poetry, studying vocal repertoire in an all-woman setting, and learning to play and jam on Arabic percussion instruments. Private lessons are also available on traditional as well as Western instruments and voice.Group Classes include:Maqam theory and practice (Maqam Rast in Early 20th c. Egypt)Arabic PercussionWomen's Choir (Arabic repertoire, no knowledge of Arabic necessary!)Iraqi Maqam (repertoire and variation)Private lessons also available on violin, 'oud, buzuq, qanun, santur, trumpet, percussion, voice (male and female).All other instrumentalists encouraged to stud
- Created by: Lety ElNaggar
- Mar 29, 2012 to Sep 30, 2012
- Location: The Federal Reserve Bank of New York
Avec deux cabinets dédiés à l'histoire monétaire française, de la Révolution à l'arrivée de l'euro.
- Created by: gilles bransbourg
- Apr 12, 2012 to Jun 29, 2012
- Location: Elinor Bunin Muroe Film Center and Angelika Film Center
After learning of the death of an elementary school teacher, Bachir Lazhar (Fellag), a 55-year-old Algerian immigrant, goes to the school to offer his services as a substitute teacher. Quickly hired to replace the deceased, he finds himself thrown into an establishment in crisis, while going through his own personal tragedy. The film features exquisite performances by Fellag and the child actors playing Monsieur Lazhar’s young students coping with grief and learning to heal.
Award-winning writer-director Philippe Falardeau’s previous works - including Congorama and It’s Not Me I Swear! - have been screened at festivals around the world including Cannes, Toronto, New Directors/New Films, Berlin and Locarno. MONSIEUR LAZHAR, his fourth feature, is an adaptation of the play “Bashir Lazhar” by Montreal playwright Evelyne de la Cheneliere.
- Created by: Aimee Morris
- Apr 25, 2012 at 2:00pm to May 29, 2012 at 3:45pm EDT
- Location: ART-NY
- Description: L'Atelier Francophone est un cours de théâtre en Français à NY. Nous travaillons sur des scènes diverses écrites par des auteurs contemporains francophones.Horaire : Le mercredi, de 18h à 19h45
Dates (Six cours) : 25 Avril - 23 Mai + Présentations de scènes et soirée : Mardi, le 29 Mai de 19h30 à 21h30.Tarif: $330New York in French members: $265, Code: NYINFRENCH
Returning students/Performing Arts Professionals: $225
L'atelier Francophone est un cours de théâtre proposant des exercices sur l'imagination, le corps et la voix afin d’élaborerun jeu créatif et "réel". Nourrir ce jeu, c’est mettre à contribution la vie intérieure de l'acteur, explorer la richesse et le potentiel de sa propre individualité, et découvrir le lien harmonique qui l’unit à son partenaire.
Le cours intègre des méthodes diverses d'apprentissage du jeu (Meisner, Stanislavski, Chekhov, etc.) pour que l'acteur puisse découvrir les outils les
- Created by: Manisha Snoyer - Actress/Teacher
- Apr 27, 2012 at 7:00am to Jun 23, 2012 at 1:00pm EDT
- Location: FIAF Gallery
The FIAF Gallery is pleased to present the New York debut exhibition of Françoise Pétrovitch, a widely admired French artist. Her work is featured in the public collections of several French museums and has been exhibited internationally. Her recent, large-scale installation at the Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature generated significant acclaim and interest in her work.
In Inklings, Pétrovitch pairs her whimsical yet unsettling ink wash drawings with a video installation of over 200 designs. Ethereal and haunting, the raw animal drawings are simultaneously infused with a sense of intimacy and fragility. A sculptor with extensive experience, including at the historic Manufacture Nationale de Sèvres, Pétrovitch brings a powerful sense of substance and form to her two dimensional drawings.
Tour this engaging exhibition and explore Françoise Pétrovitch’s imaginative world.
Free and open to the public.
- Created by: FIAF
- May 9, 2012 from 12:00pm to 1:00pm EDT
- Location: Booker & Dax at Ssäm Bar
Shaking Things Up!
Mixology Master Class
with Dave Arnold
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Booker & Dax at Ssäm Bar
As Director of Technology at the French Culinary Institute, Dave Arnold encourages chefs to experiment with new technologies and ingredients in the kitchen. Now he’s doing the same behind the bar of his exciting new downtown spot Booker and Dax, where he redefines classic cocktails using liquid nitrogen and a hot poker.
Join Arnold for an exclusive master class in mixology and sample some of his most popular drinks.
Space is limited.
Must be 21+ to attend.
Online1 800 982 2787
Visit Box Office
FIAF Members $80
- Created by: FIAF
- May 9, 2012 at 12:00pm to Jun 30, 2012 at 2:00pm EDT
- Location: Friedman & Vallois
On the occasion of Tribal Art Week in New York, Friedman & Vallois will present the exhibition “Africa” from May 9 to June 30, 2012, in partnership with fine art studio Gallery - Sandra Agbessi from Brussels and Bernard Dulon Gallery from Paris.
This exhibition will introduce in exclusivity for the first time in the United States the works of protean artist from Benin, Africa, Dominique Zinkpè. Will be exhibited 20 works in various media including sculpture and works on paper, all produced in 2010. concurrently, renown African and Tribal Art dealer Bernard Dulon will present a series of exclusive objects.
This event will present a perspective of contemporary and classical African Art.
Friedman & Vallois
May 9 - June 30, 2012
Opening 9 May from 4 pm
27 east 67th street
New York, NY 10065
t.: +1 212 517 382
Fine Art Studio - Sandra Agbessi
Galerie Bernard Dulon
- Created by: Laurence Fayard
- May 9, 2012 from 3:00pm to 5:00pm EDT
- Location: French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF) Florence Gould Hall
Florent-Emilio Siri, 2012 Color. 128 min.
With Jérémie Renier, Benoît Magimel,
Robert Knepper, Sabrina Seyvecou
In French with English subtitles
The fascinating story of Claude François (Cloclo), one of the most famous French pop singers, comes to the big screen. Discover the man behind Cloclo-mania and the legendary song “My Way” in a sneak preview of a film chronicling his successful career and ultimately tragic end.
1 800 982 2787
Visit Box Office
FIAF Members Free*
($2 advance tickets)
Students with ID $7
- Created by: FIAF