- Feb 18, 2012 at 4:30pm EST to Jun 21, 2012 at 6:00pm EDT
- Location: The Metropolitan Room
Edith Piaf Alive and Living in New York
Written by Floanne Ankah & Alice Jankell
Directed by Alice Jankell
Piano: Audrey Saint-Gil, Accordion: Kate Dunphy
Guitar: Marcel Van Dam, Percussion: Alby Roblejo
Saturday, Jan 21/Feb 18/Mar 17 at 9:30
Thursday, April 19/May 17/Jun 21 at 9:30
The Metropolitan Room
34 West 22nd Street, New York, NY 10010 Tickets $20.00, 2 drinks minimum (212) 206-0440, www.metropolitanroom.com
French actress and singer Floanne Ankah recounts the Piaf story. This authentic ‘chanteuse’ and farm girl opens the door to her culture, by taking a closer look at the legendary ‘Little Sparrow’ —with that husky, mournful voice so popular in the 1940’ and 50’s. The performance is a culturally rich and moving presenta- tion that will make you smile, with tunes transporting you to other times and places.
Yes, both Floanne and Edith Piaf will be attending the rendez-vous in a medley of vintage tunes from their native France... with a modern twist. She w
- Created by: Flo Ankah
- Mar 2, 2012 to May 25, 2012
- Location: Alwan for the Arts
- Description: Alwan for the Arts is excited to announce weekly group and private Arab Music Instruction this spring. Opportunities are available for beginners and seasoned musicians of all ages to learn fundamentals of Arab music and/or study specialized topics, such as focusing on many iterations of a single Maqam throughout a few decades, learning to sing and perform many maqams and popular songs along with classical Arabic poetry, studying vocal repertoire in an all-woman setting, and learning to play and jam on Arabic percussion instruments. Private lessons are also available on traditional as well as Western instruments and voice.Group Classes include:Maqam theory and practice (Maqam Rast in Early 20th c. Egypt)Arabic PercussionWomen's Choir (Arabic repertoire, no knowledge of Arabic necessary!)Iraqi Maqam (repertoire and variation)Private lessons also available on violin, 'oud, buzuq, qanun, santur, trumpet, percussion, voice (male and female).All other instrumentalists encouraged to stud
- Created by: Lety ElNaggar
- Mar 10, 2012 at 1:00pm EST to May 5, 2012 at 1:00pm EDT
- Location: THE INVISIBLE DOG ART CENTER
A sculptural installation overwhelming the ground floor of the Invisible Dog Art Center inspired by R. Justin Stewart’s research into the Jewish concept of the messiah and curated by Risa Shoup
After two years of research, R. Justin Stewart, a professed agnostic, will install Distorting (a messiah project, 13C), an intricate environment constructed of fleece, rope and plastic that will serve as a 3-D representation of the concept of the messiah in the 13th Century. Distorting is a visual delight that will overwhelm the viewer with color and shape as it invades the Invisible Dog. Those viewers wanting to understand the connection between the sculptural elements and the information that inspired them will need only to scan QR codes, discreetly embedded throughout the sculpture, with their phone or other mobile devices to download the information they seek.
In the coming years, Stewart will unveil additional installations under the umbrella of “a messiah project.” Just as Distorting only fo
- Created by: lucien zayan / the invisible dog
- Mar 16, 2012 at 2:00pm to May 6, 2012 at 10:15am EDT
- Location: New york
Light around the world project's about spirituality, love, peace, harmony, knowledge and wisdom.
- Created by: Julien
- Mar 29, 2012 to Sep 30, 2012
- Location: The Federal Reserve Bank of New York
Avec deux cabinets dédiés à l'histoire monétaire française, de la Révolution à l'arrivée de l'euro.
- Created by: gilles bransbourg
- Apr 12, 2012 to Jun 29, 2012
- Location: Elinor Bunin Muroe Film Center and Angelika Film Center
After learning of the death of an elementary school teacher, Bachir Lazhar (Fellag), a 55-year-old Algerian immigrant, goes to the school to offer his services as a substitute teacher. Quickly hired to replace the deceased, he finds himself thrown into an establishment in crisis, while going through his own personal tragedy. The film features exquisite performances by Fellag and the child actors playing Monsieur Lazhar’s young students coping with grief and learning to heal.
Award-winning writer-director Philippe Falardeau’s previous works - including Congorama and It’s Not Me I Swear! - have been screened at festivals around the world including Cannes, Toronto, New Directors/New Films, Berlin and Locarno. MONSIEUR LAZHAR, his fourth feature, is an adaptation of the play “Bashir Lazhar” by Montreal playwright Evelyne de la Cheneliere.
- Created by: Aimee Morris
- Apr 12, 2012 to May 6, 2012
- Location: BAMcinematek
- Description: Robert BressonRestrospective, BAMcinématek
BAMcinématek presents the first complete retrospective in over a decade of the most uncompromising and visionary of directors.
This retrospective takes place from April 13 - May 6.
Dates and Tickets @ BAM
Paring the language of film down to its essential elements—minimally expressive performances by nonprofessional actors, highly detailed sound design, tableau-like compositions that sear themselves into the mind’s eye—Robert Bresson (1901—1999) searched for the soul in the modern world, revealing the divine in the unlikeliest places and exploring states of both spiritual rapture and lament. BAMcinématek presents the first complete retrospective in over a decade of the most uncompromising and visionary of directors. All films in 35mm and in French with English subtitles.
"Bresson is to French cinema what Mozart is to German music and Dostoevsky is to Russian literature.” —Jean-Luc Godard
“Every film is a must-see!” —Dave Kehr, The New York Tim
- Created by: Nathalie Charles
- Apr 25, 2012 at 2:00pm to May 29, 2012 at 3:45pm EDT
- Location: ART-NY
- Description: L'Atelier Francophone est un cours de théâtre en Français à NY. Nous travaillons sur des scènes diverses écrites par des auteurs contemporains francophones.Horaire : Le mercredi, de 18h à 19h45
Dates (Six cours) : 25 Avril - 23 Mai + Présentations de scènes et soirée : Mardi, le 29 Mai de 19h30 à 21h30.Tarif: $330New York in French members: $265, Code: NYINFRENCH
Returning students/Performing Arts Professionals: $225
L'atelier Francophone est un cours de théâtre proposant des exercices sur l'imagination, le corps et la voix afin d’élaborerun jeu créatif et "réel". Nourrir ce jeu, c’est mettre à contribution la vie intérieure de l'acteur, explorer la richesse et le potentiel de sa propre individualité, et découvrir le lien harmonique qui l’unit à son partenaire.
Le cours intègre des méthodes diverses d'apprentissage du jeu (Meisner, Stanislavski, Chekhov, etc.) pour que l'acteur puisse découvrir les outils les
- Created by: Manisha Snoyer - Actress/Teacher
- Apr 27, 2012 at 7:00am to Jun 23, 2012 at 1:00pm EDT
- Location: FIAF Gallery
The FIAF Gallery is pleased to present the New York debut exhibition of Françoise Pétrovitch, a widely admired French artist. Her work is featured in the public collections of several French museums and has been exhibited internationally. Her recent, large-scale installation at the Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature generated significant acclaim and interest in her work.
In Inklings, Pétrovitch pairs her whimsical yet unsettling ink wash drawings with a video installation of over 200 designs. Ethereal and haunting, the raw animal drawings are simultaneously infused with a sense of intimacy and fragility. A sculptor with extensive experience, including at the historic Manufacture Nationale de Sèvres, Pétrovitch brings a powerful sense of substance and form to her two dimensional drawings.
Tour this engaging exhibition and explore Françoise Pétrovitch’s imaginative world.
Free and open to the public.
- Created by: FIAF
- Apr 27, 2012 at 2:00pm to Apr 29, 2012 at 6:00pm EDT
- Location: Teachers College, Columbia University
MUSIC & SOUL FILM SERIES
Fri, April 27 to Sun, April 29, 2012
THE MUSIC & SOUL FILM SERIES presents a selection of fictions and documentaries in which music gets into you at many different levels.
The always entertaining 100% Arabica is a film that, in a comedic way, deals with religious extremism, political and religious corruption. The music of two of the greatest rai musicians, Khaled and Cheb Mami, is at the core of that story.
Round Midnight by Bertrand Tavernier offers a story of friendship, human spirit and good music.
The First Rasta, by French filmmaker Helene Lee is a film in which music, history, identity and social commentary come together as one powerful and poignant work of art.
The Youssou N'Dour: Return to Goree (Senegal) screening will be followed, for the first time, by a special screening of the filmed concert given on Goree Island by Youssou N'Dour and his musicians!
FILM SERIES DETAILED PROGRAM - FRENCH FILMS
Saturday, April 28 @ 4PM
100% Arabica (France/Algeria)
- Created by: ArtMattan Productions
- Apr 27, 2012 from 5:00pm to 7:00pm EDT
- Location: AMC Loews Village 7 - 1
Passionate French photographer Marion (Julie Delpy) and her hip radio host beau Mingus (Chris Rock) live a happily coupled life with their children in a homey New York City apartment. When Marion's eccentric French family descends upon the pair unannounced, the couple is catapulted into two days of escalating mayhem, misunderstandings, and culture clash. Between Marion's delightfully unhinged father (played gleefully by Delpy's real-life Dad, Albert), her sexually frank but juvenile sister, and her sister's boorish boyfriend (also Marion's ex), it will be all Mingus can do to stay sane while the in-laws are in town. Cleverly following up her hit 2 Days in Paris (TFF 2007), writer/director/star Delpy once again demonstrates her sharp observation of relationships and her wicked and silly sense of humor, while Chris Rock is brilliantly against-type playing it straight opposite Marion's outrageous family. An ensemble of winning comedic performances bring Delpy's astute and funny writing to
- Created by: Nathalie Charles
- Apr 27, 2012 from 7:30pm to 9:30pm EDT
- Location: Clearview Cinemas Chelsea 4
[SLEEP] | 2011 | 103 min | Feature Narrative
Directed by: Frederic Jardin
Foreign Title: (Nuit Blanche)
Language: in French with English subtitles.
New York PremiereInterests: Crime, Thriller, Tribeca Film
Vincent is a well-respected cop, as well as a devoted husband and father. But below the surface of his idyllic life, Vincent is involved with a very dangerous group of gangsters and drug dealers. When Vincent and his partner are caught stealing a massive quantity of cocaine from a powerful drug lord, the darker side of Vincent's life threatens to destroy his family and career. In a race against the clock, Vincent must return the drugs in order to save his son's life. This proves to be easier said than done, as the world around him seems to conspire to keep Vincent from doing what is necessary to protect his son.
Set over the course of one night in a massive nightclub, Frederic Jardin's film is a smart and endlessly entertaining thriller.
- Created by: Nathalie Charles